Pradaxa® (dabigatran) might increase the risk for certain gastrointestinal side effects such as dyspepsia, more commonly known as indigestion or upset stomach. The word "dyspepsia" is from the Greek word "pepsis," which means "digestion." Dyspepsia may seem like a relatively minor medical problem, but it can be the sign of more severe conditions.
Having an upset stomach is something that nearly everyone experiences at some time in their lives. When an individual is taking Pradaxa® (for non-valvular atrial fibrillation, which is the FDA-approved reason for Pradaxa® treatment), he or she should be extra-aware of dyspepsia and other complications.
What Causes Dyspepsia?
Dyspepsia can be caused by many things, some serious, some not. For example:
- swallowed air
- burped-up stomach juices and gas
- eating too much and/or too fast
- gastrointestinal bleeding
- GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)
- stomach cancer
- gastroparesis (the stomach doesn't empty properly; this is common among diabetics)
- stomach infection
- irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- medication side effects
- chronic pancreatitis
- thyroid disease
- eating high-fat foods
- drinking too much alcohol
Signs and Symptoms of Dyspepsia
The most common signs and symptoms of dyspepsia are:
- pain in the upper abdomen
- a feeling of fullness, without cause
- tenderness to the touch
- growling stomach
- acidic taste in the mouth
Dyspepsia can also be accompanied by:
When Should I Call My Doctor about Dyspepsia?
If you're also experiencing any of the following in addition to dyspepsia, you should contact your doctor:
- vomiting; especially if there's blood in the vomit
- weight loss
- loss of appetite
- black, tarry-looking stools or bloody bowel movements
- pain in your upper or lower right abdomen; especially severe pain in your upper right abdomen
- gastrointestinal bleeds
Contact a Pradaxa® Lawyer
If you're concerned about Pradaxa® side effects, or if you have suffered from Pradaxa® (dabigatran) side effects such as gastrointestinal bleeding, you can seek legal counsel from a qualified Pradaxa® injury lawyer by contacting us. We offer free case reviews to discuss potential claims.